As a Home Inspector my views have changed. I now know that certain areas in my home require closer inspection to ensure my family’s safety. The last thing I want is for my family to be harmed from something that could have been prevented.
I’ll Fix It Later…
We all have those moments of ‘I’ll do it later’ and for most of us we forget until there’s that nudge from our other half.We don’t intend to forget, but life can get in the way and things will fall to the back of our mind until later that day, on the weekend, a few months, or for some – after it’s too late.
Over the years I’ve learned – the hard way at times – that I shouldn’t have put off certain home maintenance tasks. At first glance occasional areas of my family’s home would look alright so I would move on to the next item only to find out that something was more serious than I had originally thought.
Awareness is the Key to Prevention!
As a Qualified Home Inspector my job is to point out areas of concern when inspecting client properties. Awareness is the key to prevention and I want to address buildings with wood burning stoves.
We all hear that chimneys need to be properly maintained, but many think ‘what will it hurt if I wait another year before cleaning the chimney?’ Well, we want we want to avoid a chimney fire so the point is, whether it’s in your garage or in your home the buildup of Creosote can cause severe damage and even death.
What is Creosote?
Creosote is the buildup of a tarry substance that comes from burning wood that is wet or of high moisture levels. It takes more energy to burn wet wood so the heat/energy that will come from that fire will be much cooler than that of dry wood. The ‘moist smoke’ that emanates will coat the chimney flue, liner and the buildup will clog the chimney cap.
Driving the Point Home
This is a prime example of a chimney that appears at first glance to be okay, but upon closer inspection shows severe Creosote buildup. This is a fire waiting to happen! When a chimney stack can’t ventilate properly the CO2 levels can easily leak back into the home. If your detectors aren’t working properly your family start feeling ill, pass out, and in the chimney can catch fire – leading to house fire! The reality is that it doesn’t always happen to someone else….
Had the weather been different or the rooftop been not safe, even a home inspector could easily miss this. I recommend having a WETT Inspection every year or two to avoid a chimney fire and catch concerns in the early stages.
The Power of Knowledge
Gaining knowledge gives you the power to prevent accidents. For this client I recommended them having a WETT Inspection (Wood Energy Technology Transfer) along with a chimney sweep to clean and remove creosote buildup.
Have Questions or Wish to Book an Inspection?
Over the years more clients are asking if I could provide them a WETT Inspection – though I couldn’t offer it then, I will be offering this service soon!
In the meantime, if you or someone you know is searching for a Qualified Home Inspector call or email me today! Whether you’re looking at a personal or commercial property – Final Step Home Inspections is the right choice for a professional home inspection!